A microgrid is a localized system of distributed energy resources and loads that normally operate connected to and synchronous with the traditional centralized electric grid, but can be ‘islanded’ to operate independently from the main grid and controlled locally.
PowerSecure, as an integrated solutions provider, designs, builds, owns and operates microgrids which includes on-site generation such as our ultra clean diesel Tier 4 Final, prime power gas generation systems, fuel cell energy systems, or renewable energy such as solar, wind and landfill gas to electric. These generating systems are coupled together and integrated with battery storage systems and PowerSecure’s switchgear. Most critical to the operation of a microgrid is the ability to monitor, control and dispatch generating assets, energy storage resources and load assets as needed to optimize the microgrid’s performance.
PowerSecure takes a comprehensive, full-service approach to microgrid requirements.
- Design and engineer all components of the microgrid including operational performance requirements.
- Obtain the required regulatory approvals and permits.
- Establish the electricity interconnect between the utility and customer.
- Manufacture integrated generation/resource systems, switchgear and control systems.
- Provide a fully integrated installation, our systems are intentionally designed to work together.
- Monitor and service the system 365/24/7.
- Optimize performance by stacking the value streams to improve the economics from the microgrid.
Benefits of a Microgrid
- Improved Resiliency and Redundancy. Parallel with or operate in “island mode” from the electric grid to serve a facilities entire load providing a resilient and redundant solution to the traditional electric grid.
- Energy Flexibility. Provides local control and energy independence to the end user.
- Power Quality. Sustains and strengthens power quality- under-frequency and under-voltage load shedding in generation deficient situations maintains nominal system performance, as well as maintaining reserves.
- Economically Optimized. Improves the economics for energy surety by capturing value from the energy markets to the benefit of the utility and the customer.
- Maximizes Utilization. Integration of various distributed energy resources to maximize the utilization and benefits associated with such local resources.
Questions? Contact us here.